Ask the Experts
Exfoliation, when and how
Scrub your skin away
Winter is the season to treat you skin with extra care, since the dropping temperatures, inclement weather, outdoor activities (skiing anyone?), and potential changes in diet (hello, rich holiday foods) can all influence our regular rituals and environments. Whether these factors make your skin oilier or drier, we’re here to help you think about your skin care routine and how you can make sure your choices are right for whatever your version of winter holds in store.
1. Be aware of your own skin: You are the foremost expert on your own skin, after all, you live in it all day, every day. As winter approaches, reflect on the type of skin you have and how your skin has reacted in past cold seasons. Knowledge of your own skin is power in combatting dryness and irritation and tailoring your routine and the tips below for your unique needs. If you had beardruff last year, you will likely see it again if you don’t change your routine.
2. Know what’s in your products: The Art of Shaving uses botanical ingredients and pure essential oils in products because we believe that the quality of what you use matters, especially when you’re putting something on your face. Not only do the enticing aromas in our range of essential oil inspired shaving ingredients make shaving a pleasurable experience, but the great smell will give you that extra encouragement to ensure you use each step of the process of the perfect shave: prepare your skin with pre shave oil, lather up with shave cream, shave, and moisturize with after shave balm. Taking the extra time to establish a routine will help you put your moisturized, smooth, and most handsome, face forward every day, come blizzard or mistletoe!
3. Become a water-temperature expert for the sake of your skin: The temperature of the water you are using on your skin during your routine can matter more than you know. Did you know that lathering up your shaving cream on your shaving brush with warm water is recommended? And rinsing your face with cool water post-shave is what our expert master barbers recommend? In the winter, it is sometimes tempting to just turn up the heat full blast… but in reality, the temperature of the water you use during your cleansing and grooming process is important to the end benefit you experience, and you should know what the masters recommend. Make sure you’re doing it right.
4. After-Shave care makes all the difference: Our after-shave balms are some of our best sellers for an important reason: this isn’t your average aftershave… this is a terrific hydrator that you can use on your face, neck, and hands to help moisturize. In fact, clients have been known to use the aftershave balm after more than just their shave routine. Especially if you invest in a scent that you love (hello, Oud), your skin will be moisturized and you will be ‘that guy’ who always subtly smells amazing.
5. If you have a beard, make sure you keep it clean and properly trimmed: The skin underneath your beard will thank you! A beard may add to your cozy-factor in the cold days of winter, but sometimes it can be tricky to know just how to treat your facial hair and the skin underneath. One way to make sure that your beard and skin thrive is by ensuring that your beard and skin remain clean, healthy looking, and conditioned. Using a beard wash and conditioner can help you maintain the clean conditioning that ensures that your hair and skin thrive. And while you’re at it, we believe that a well-trimmed beard is a style-must. Our beard timmer can be stored next to your beard wash and conditioner for convenient access on your bathroom sink
6. Protect yourself from the sun: It is no surprise that protecting your skin from the sun is important even in the wintertime. In the colder months, it is easy to forget about sun protection. Don’t fall prey to this folly. Your skin is precious and protecting it with an SPF product, like ours is a great way to complete your routine prior to running out the door. The Art of Shaving strives to make your life easier by offering multiple grooming products that you need in one easy destination: pre-shave oil, shave cream, after-shave and SPF 15 moisturizer and beyond. And now, with our subscription service, you can sign up to have these products delivered direct to your door on the cadence you desire… what’s more, signing up will save you money! What’s not to love?
Finally, winter brings plenty of opportunity to gift yourself or others with products that can help them master their skincare routine. Check out our gift guide for some of our cutting-edge scents of the season! We’ve got a scent for you and everyone on your list.
By: Will Garza