Ask the Experts
Crafting the Perfect Aroma
Bourbon, Barrels, and Brotherhood
Ask the Experts
Every year, we not only see men walk through our doors looking for an expert consultation, but an increasing number of women looking to make leg shaving and beyond closer and more comfortable than their current routine. Shaving is a choice and for those of us who choose to do it, why not make it as comfortable and enjoyable as possible, right? I started my journey into “the wonderful world of shaving” as I call it in 2009. I had always worked in fashion and wanted a change. This little (at the time we were only 35 stores), but lovely company called The Art of Shaving piqued my interest. The products were well formulated, smelled delicious and most importantly the people were friendly. On my first day, my boss handed me a set of products for The Perfect Shave. I thought, “Oh how nice. I’ll use it once so I get the concept and then pass it on to a male relative.” That night, like the eager new team member I was, I followed the instructions and had my first ever Perfect Shave. My legs were super smooth, they felt soft to the touch and most importantly I didn’t have mass loads of razor burn. SCORE! Little did I know that just taking a little bit more care and attention to something I found mundane could make such a difference? The next 7-plus years, I dove head first into exploring everything that is shaving from head to toe. Now don’t fear, dear reader, you won’t have to dedicate quite as much time and effort into achieving The Perfect Shave! We have years of research and hands on testing to point you in the right direction. Here’s a list of some of my best tips and tricks I’ve learned over the years to get you a soft and smooth Perfect Shave.
1. Don’t underestimate exfoliation. Using a body scrub or facial exfoliator on your legs, underarms and bikini area will remove dead skin and release trapped hairs for an optimal shave. If you have sensitive skin, we recommend a mild scrub with sand or sugar over nut shells or alpha hydroxyl acids.
2. Pre-shave oil is our little secret for a smooth shave. Shhh don’t tell anyone, but this hero product helps place a protective layer on the skin to help against irritation and razor burn by promoting razor glide. Best used for sensitive areas like ankles, knees, bikini and underarms or anywhere you feel razor burn.
3. Shave in the shower or bathtub, always. We’ve all made the mistake of throwing our leg up on the sink in quick desperation, but we always pay for this short cut in the end. You need the heat and water to soften the hair and prepare it to be shaved. This is like the difference between trying to cut uncooked, hard pasta versus soft, cooked spaghetti.
4. Use a moisturizing shaving cream. Again, the more moisture you bring to your hair, the easier it will be cut. Our glycerin-based shaving cream will hydrate and soften hair while increasing the glide of your razor.
5. The right blade makes shaving a breeze. The wrong blade makes it a crime scene. Okay, okay… well not a full on “crime scene,” but we all can look back on that oops moment with a cringe. What you cut with matters. Make sure your blade is clean and sharp. Select a quality blade like the Gillette ProShield which features lubrication before and after the blade. Take it one step further and increase shaving comfort by using our Lexington Power handle. This handle emits soothing micro-pulsations which helps reduce undue drag and pressure on the skin and in turn minimizes razor burn.
6. If you get in-grown hairs, proper preparation and exfoliation is again your friend. Our Power Brush helps exfoliate skin and ready it for the shave. Bonus, it’s also a great facial cleansing and exfoliating brush. Win, win.
7. Indulge your senses. Not only are our products loaded with great ingredients to give you smooth results, our aromas add luxury to your routine. Wake up with the fresh scent of Lemon or the calming aroma of Lavender.
8. Upgrade your bathroom with quality shaving tools. Treat yourself to a properly weighted and balanced razor and a luxurious shaving brush. They not only look cool, but deliver an outstanding shave over disposable handles.
Shaving is just the tip of the iceberg for women at The Art of Shaving. We offer a range of skin care, our facial wash being a favorite of mine, as well as a fragrance line that is versatile and easily worn by any woman. I spritz on Coriander and Cardamom daily for a light yet subtly spicy scent. Visit us at any one of our 150-plus retail locations around the US and online at www.theartofshaving.com.